Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Quotes

Hosted by The Broke and Bookish for those of us that have a love of books and lists! Check them out :)

This week's theme is quotes. Now, I have trouble remembering what I said or did 5 minutes ago, but Goodreads has this fantastic quotes section. So after I read a book, I "like" some of the quotes from it. I decided to go back through the quotes I have liked since joining goodreads and use them. Fun Fact: more than 50% of my quotes were from Melina Marchetta... moving on

My Top Ten Quotes (from my Goodreads "likes"

1. "I'm scared I'm going to spend the rest of my life in a state of yearning, regardless of where I am" ~The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta       

Somehow Marchetta always puts into words the things I am feeling but can't express...

2. "I'm not going to wear a red dress," she (Katsa) said. "It would look stunning my lady," she called. She spoke to the bubble gathered on the surface of the water. "If there's anyone I wish to stun at dinner, I'll hit him in the face." ~ Graceling by Kristin Cashore

The best way to make an impression...

3. "Mum says when wanting collides with getting, that's the moment of truth. I want to collide." ~ Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley

Another author who's words I want to steal.

4. "It is our choices, Harry, that show us what we truly are, far more than our abilities." ~ Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowlings

So many wonderful Potter quotes, but this one has always stuck with me.

5. "Peter would probably throw a party if I stopped breathing." "Well," he (Four) says, "I would only go if there was cake." Divergent by Veronica Roth

I fell in love with Four right here, sarcastic humor is the way to my heart. 

6. "This is the way the world ends - not with a bang or a whimper, but with zombies breaking down the back door." ~ Hollowland by Amanda Hocking

Best opening line, ever...

7. "Remember, we're madly in love, so it's all right to kiss me anytime you feel like it." ~The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Are there deeper, more romantic quotes? Sure there are but I'll always love this one, oh 
and Finnick Odair in his underwear, what a great rhyme...

8. "To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable." ~The Four Loves by C.S. Lewis

I know it's long but it's about the truest statement there is.

9. "We live and breathe words... It was books that made me feel that perhaps I was not completely alone. They could be honest with me, and I with them." ~ Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

Oh books, how I love you!

10. "Nine times out of ten, talking is a way of avoiding doing things" ~ Dealing with Dragons by Patricia Wrede

True that, so I should probably get off my computer, and get back to work...

What are some of your favorite quotes?

11 comments:

  1. Number 5 (from Divergent) had me laughing out loud!! I love it :D

    Stop by and see my Top Ten / Teaser Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always great when a guy makes you laugh! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. So hard to choose just one Clare quote, so many make me laugh or cry! I enjoyed your Winnie the Pooh wisdom :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Eeeppp!!! I so love #3, #4 and #7. Awesome list! :D

    Drop by my Top 10?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved your list! I will def have to pick up Amy & Roger's Epic Detour soon!

      Delete
  4. I LOVE the Graveling one! Katsa is so awesome. I agree about Marchetta. She has an incredible way with words.
    My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great list! And the Graceling quote, TOTALLY forgot that one. I'm still laughing after reading it:) Cath Crowley and Melina Marchetta made my list as well:)

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  6. The C.S. Lewis quote is fabulous! Such amazing insight.

    Laura @ The Traveling Owl

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, ah, I love that quote from Divergent.

    ReplyDelete