Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: All Time Favorite Characters

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and The Bookish for those of us that love books and love lists! Go check them out!!

Top Ten All Time Favorite Characters in a Book
Oh goodness this was hard, it's like trying to choose my favorite friends of all time, soooo I may have cheated a bit towards the end ;)



1. Alanna from the Song of the Lioness Quartet ~ So many fierce and fantastic heroines in young adult literature these days but Alanna opened the door for all of them. Pierce has written some awesome, inspiring women along with Alanna, so if you like kick-butt females, get reading in the world of Tortall. 


2. Matthias Mouse from Redwall ~ The bravest mouse I know! His growth from a clumsy, timid mouse to a warrior with a heart of gold has endeared him to my heart forever. 


3. Skulduggery Pleasant from the Skulduggery series ~ My favorite skeleton detective ends up on the list for his wicked sense of humor. He literally causes me to laugh out loud during our silent reading time in class!


4. Alvin Ho from the Alvin Ho series ~ I don't know if I love Alvin because he would be the only quiet kid in my classroom or because of the way he swears in Shakespearean or because of the way his eyes speak to you or because his dad is teaching him to be a gentleman but I suspect it has to with all of the above. 


5. Jonah Griggs from On the Jellicoe Road ~ I'm pretty sure if Jonah Griggs was real, I would pack up my bags, hop a plan to Australia and track him down and the rest should probably remain unsaid...


6/7.  Percy Jackson and Leo from the Percy Jackson and Heroes of Olympus series ~ Percy is the perfect mix of sarcasm and sweetness, just a little more sarcastic than sweet. Leo's humor and underdog demeanor have endeared him to me. 


8. Cinna from the Hunger Games ~ So many great characters in this series but Cinna has always stood out to me. Even though he seems only a small part, he was a driving force and huge inspiration for Katniss. The books would not have been the same without him.  


9. The boys of Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments and Infernal Devices ~ I can't help myself, I swear I never fall for the bad boy, but there is just something about Clare's tortured heroes Will and Jace that keep me bringing me back. Then you add in sweet Jem and poor Simon and I am a goner...


10. The characters of Harry Potter ~ I thought long and hard about this one and I can't just pick one character. Harry, Ron and Hermione are inseparable,  all the other students - Neville, Luna, Ginny, the twins, and so on. Then you have the fantastic or horrific teachers from Hogwarts - Hagrid, Dumbledore, Snape, Lupin, McGonagall, Umbridge, etc. The bad and not so bad guys ~ Voldemort, Draco, Krum, Sirius, the Dursley's. The non-humans like Hedgewig and Dobby. I could keep going but I'd much rather go pick up Harry Potter and get reading...

11 comments:

  1. HA! Your comments about Jonah Griggs made me laugh. He is a great one so I can't say I blame you! I have Ron on my list, but I agree that all of HP's characters are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!! Can't believe I forgot Skulduggery. He is the most awesome skeleton EVER! Awesome list!=D

    Drop by my Top 10?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe we have so many in common but Cinna is something special to me.

    marissa
    http://raegunwear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you on Cinna (I can't believe I forgot him when compiling my list!). He's totally understanding and like chill. c: Great post, and you have a new follower as well! Would love it if you could check mine out: My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome list! I'm so glad to see someone else with Alanna at the top of their list!

    I also agree with the men from Cassandra Clare's novels, Cinna and the entire Harry Potter Crew, though I ended up singling out Hermione in my list!

    Tara @ Hey, Tara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another Jonah Griggs fan here... and I love Cinna as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some good ones here :)
    New follower
    http://www.thephantomparagrapher.blogspot.co.nz/2012/04/top-ten-tuesday-all-time-favourite.html#comment-form

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have all the Skullduggery Pleasant books but I still haven't read them! I really need to soon- I'm hoping they will be quick, fun reads!

    My TTT: http://www.pocketfulofbooks.com/2012/04/top-ten-tuesday-favourite-characters-in.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this list - some of my favorite characters are represented, like Cinna.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a very hard time choose my favorite characters from HP, I really love them all!! Also, Cinna was pretty awesome and I am looking forward to reading Song of the Lioness because I have heard great things!!

    My Top Ten Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! I actually have only read THG and HP from all the books on your list, but the other characters sound superb.
    Feel free to visit my list :)

    ReplyDelete