Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Review: The Girl in the Steel Corset

The Girl in the Steel Corset

By Kady Cross

My Rating: 3 Peaches


In 1897 England, 16-year-old Finley Jayne is convinced she's a freak. No normal Victorian girl has a darker side that makes her capable of knocking out a full-grown man with one punch. Only Griffin King sees the magical darkness inside her that says she's special . . . that she's one of "them." (Goodreads description)


I actually read the short story "The Strange Case of Finley Jayne" first  and I much preferred the short story to this longer book.  I do love this cover though.  


The Juicy 

While this series is called The Steampunk Chronicles it is more steampunk light, a perfect intro to the world of steampunk. Cross creates a fascinating world that is almost a mix of steampunk and the supernatural and there are some interesting descriptions of machinery and the Organites that are the driving force behind it all. Finley herself has an interesting dilemma with her whole Jekyll/Hyde personality and her, of course, love triangle with Griffin and Jack Dandy (who I wish there was a little more of). I enjoyed Emily but I wished she had slightly more of a backbone. 

The Pits

This was a whole lotta book for what really amounted to very little in character development and it took me a while to get into it. I think I must have started and stopped reading this book at least 4 times before I finally powered through. There was so much potential in some of the characters, especially Finley with her dual personalities, but she always remained flat in my opinion. There were some really great character interactions and some really dry. I could tell I was supposed to feel something for and about the characters and the relationships because the book kept telling me too but I never actually felt it, especially the connections between most of the characters. I guess my biggest issue was I just never connected with the characters or came to care about what they cared about. Maybe in the next book, if I pick it up. 

Awkward Fuzz

Some violence, mostly against machines... some days, when my computer is being a pain, I wish it was an automaton I could beat the gears out of...

No comments:

Post a Comment