Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Review: Juliet Immortal

Juliet Immortal
by Stacey Jay

My Rating: 2.5 peaches

The most tragic love story in history . . .

Juliet Capulet didn't take her own life. She was murdered by the person she trusted most, her new husband, Romeo Montague, a sacrifice made to ensure his own immortality. But what Romeo didn't anticipate was that Juliet would be granted eternity, as well, and would become an agent for the Ambassadors of Light. For 700 years, she's fought Romeo for the souls of true lovers, struggling to preserve romantic love and the lives of the innocent. Until the day she meets someone she's forbidden to love, and Romeo, oh Romeo, will do everything in his power to destroy that love. (description from goodreads)





I adore retellings and re-imaginings of familiar, much loved stories. When I read the description that this was a sort of continuation with a twist on Romeo and Juliet in combination with the beautiful cover (love the red dress and her pose in front of the ocean), I had to read this book!


The Juicy


I enjoyed Jay's  foundation of light versus dark, love versus hate continuing throughout time being fought or helped by the "ambassadors".  I enjoyed the romance between Ben and Juliet and how Jay used Ben's family and his relationship with them to give Ben more depth. I thought it was interesting how Juliet came in as an "outside" perspective into Ariel's life and saw Ariel's own perceived ugliness and weaknesses as beauty and strengths. The way Juliet used her lives of experience to improve Ariel's relationship with her mother was a welcome addition to the story as well. 


The Pits


Sadly this book had a few more pits than it did juicy parts and most of them, for me, revolve around the ending. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a happy ending but I would rather be satisfied than happy. Without giving away any spoilers, the ending seems like a cop out to wrap everything up in a nice happy pink bow. I don't want a pink bow, I want to feel resolution. I want my cathartic release. 
As for the rest of the book, I would think after living so many lives that Juliet wouldn't be quite so indecisive. I can give her a little leeway because it's harder to make decisions for yourself than for others, but seriously, some of her waffling and choices were just ridiculous. 


Awkward Fuzz
~ Violence (in a school setting)
~ Some Cursing
~ Idea of reincarnation and alternate worlds

No comments:

Post a Comment